As our forays into game-based learning continue, so does the research.
Thought it’d be a good time to share the 7 most interesting links I’ve looked at in the last month or so.
- Learning From Game Design: 11 Gambits For Influencing User Behaviour
Dan Lockton about 11 ways to increase engagement using ‘gamey’ ways.
- Thoughts On Learning In Games And Designing Educational Computer Games
Again an older but comprehensive article that gives great ideas on where to use learning games. Note the references.
- An excellent article on Creating Flow, Motivation and Fun in Learning Games.
Was printed as a chapter in The Design of Learning Games Springer-Verlag, 2011
- Educational Game Design Model (NMSU Learning Games Lab)
Barbara Chamberlin, with the NMSU Learning Games Lab, shares the Educational Game Design Model developed at NMSU. Addresses various aspects of the process of game development.
- Improving The Way We Design Games For Learning By Examining How Popular Video Games Teach
This paper from UCLA focuses on how to effectively integrate teaching “how to play a game” with teaching an “instructional domain” within a game for learning. Has many interesting details relevant to game design, recommended reading.
- ‘Narrative’ in Serious or Learning Game Design Research
This is a great article on the use of narrative in learning games. Describes narrative approaches, some of which are appropriate to learning.
- Learning Game Design: Lessons From The Trenches
An interesting presentation from Sharon Boller, great advice from the trenches of gamification.