In the course of routine trawling, found this interesting report – Internet in India 2011, published by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI).
- There are currently 112 million Internet users (88 million urban dwellers, and 24 million more from rural villages) in India, out of which 90 million are active users;
- 240 million Indians accessed the Internet on their mobile phones last year;
- 20 million Indians look for job openings on the Internet every month;
- 54 million Indians check online reviews for the products they wish to purchase, out of which 15 million do so only on social media sites;
- Young users continue to drive Internet usage in India;
- Internet usage in smaller towns continues to dominate over the top eight cities, with a combined usage of more than 60%.
There are some bits about internet usage in India that I hadn’t imagined would be so. Worth a read.