Going through my feeds yesterday, I came across this great post by Cathy Moore titled – “How to design eLearning thats memorable and budget friendly”. In this, she has included a 5-part video series from her presentation at the UK eLearning Network earlier this month.
The essence of what she says in these videos about doing eLearning on budget is:
1. Don’t create a course until it is really necessary and useful.
2. Write activities in which a character faces a realistic scenario.
3. Put the information outside the course.
4. Use the course to show how to use the job aids.
5. Let the activities, not the content, drive the design.
I believe this approach could be really useful to design eLearning courses on budget. The key is to not compromise on analysis and design phase. Reduction in fancy media and cutting down on unnecessary information is better.
Take a look at the videos below.