We have been experimenting with development of Augmented Reality [AR] applications for some time now. Earlier this week we released the first Indian Layar app called Pune Layar and had earlier created a simple Car Game using FLARToolkit. While developing these applications we considered many alternative tools & technologies to develop such applications for learning. Here I share some of them that may be useful for our readers if they too wish to experiment with AR.
The AR applications can be divided into two categories –
- Marker based/Image recognition – using a camera these applications recognize a marker or an image in the real world, calculate its position & orientation to augment the reality. In simple words they overlay the marker/image with some content or information. Here are videos demonstrating the image and marker based AR applications
- Marker based AR application demo
- Image based AR application demo
List of development tools and SDKs for developing these applications –
2. FLARToolKit and FLARManager for Adobe Flash
4. AR-media™ Plugin for Google™ SketchUp™
8. Total Immersion – D’Fusion Studio
9. Unifeye Mobile
- GPS based – these applications take advantages of Global Positioning System [GPS] tools in your phone. The applications use the ‘position’ of your phone to find landmarks and any other point of interests [POI]. Once the POI or landmark is revealed the user can get additional information about it or get directions to reach there. These applications can help the learners to get real time learning using their mobile phones about various places. Here are some videos showing the working of these applications –
We would be interested in hearing your comments or if you have used any other toolkit for AR development.